By: Verity Reign
Who would’ve thought honey was good for anything other than sweetening your morning tea and drizzling on top of freshly baked and buttered croissants (a must-EAT if you’ve never tried it before)? It turns out that the liquid gold is also an ayurvedic health and beauty cure-all! You may be surprised to discover that the gooey, thick, sticky sweetness can even be used to bring out the best in your hair. To reap maximum benefits, one should stick to organic, raw honey. Here are a few ways to maximize your honey uses, but there are bunches more so we recommend researching additional benefits!
- Every time you consume honey, your immune system gladly smiles due to honey’s anti-bacterial properties. Organic honey is packed with vitamins, minerals and enzymes, and it can be used to treat coughs, sore throats and congestion. “In a study of 110 children, a single dose of buckwheat honey was just as effective as a single dose of dextromethorphan (cough suppressant) in relieving nocturnal cough and allowing proper sleep,” according to Care2.com.
- Snatch that old body back and take in some of the goo to help you lose weight. Jody Geigle, author and founder of Eat Clean Health, writes drinking warm water mixed with the juice from one lemon and 1 tbsp. honey every morning cleanses your liver, removes toxins and flushes fat from your body.
- Natural hair is often more susceptible to dryness, but you can restore your hair’s health and natural luster with honey. Honeyfanatic.com shares a hydrating honey olive oil conditioner that you can whip up at home: Warm 3 tbsp. olive oil in bowl without making it too hot. Stir in 2 tbsp. honey and 1tbsp. of plain yogurt or buttermilk until everything is blended. Apply the mixture throughout the hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water until all of the conditioner is out. I recommend doing a final rinse with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo to get out any residue.
- There are many causes of hair loss. Honey also aids in hair growth and thickness. Because scalp health is a must for hair health, EHow suggests keeping it clean by mixing 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. cinnamon powder. Apply the paste onto the scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes before shampooing and conditioning as normal.
- If your hair happens to be breaking from color-damage, EHow also suggests squeezing pure honey onto the roots. Gently rub the honey through the hair until it is saturated, leave for 20 minutes, and then shampoo and condition as normal.
- Clear up blemished skin with honey! Apply raw, organic honey directly to blemishes and let your skin absorb it overnight. Cleanse your face in the morning. Doing this on a regular basis equals clearer skin, according to MindBodyGreen.com.
- Get the spa experience by pouring a cup of honey into your warm bath for a soothing and therapeutic experience that also happens to hydrate your skin!
- Firm your face by simply whisking an egg white with a teaspoon of organic honey and gently rubbing it onto your face in a circular motion. Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse it off with warm water. Penny Richards, contributing writer to Yahoo! Voices, says that will minimize pores and leave your face feeling smooth—ultimately diminishing age signs!